Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Hi, how are you? What is your name?

Well, we just finished our first week at the school! It's been a really busy week for us as we and the students got acquainted with each other, but it was really exciting for the team as well as the students. Some of the team were already acquainted with the school due to the February field study, but for many of us, this was our first time. Here are some of the highlights from my perspective.

The kids were really excited to see us! When we arrived the kids were waiting for us at their main gate. You can see from the photo above that one of the girls even started climbing over the gate! They were so adorable! As we approached, the students had their hand outreached ready for a shake and a 'Hello, Uncle". I have to admit, however, that when I first saw this, the thought of my hand, in all its american hyperhygenic glory, making contact with their's was less than appetizing. Don't even get me started on how I felt when I realized they also wanted to plant a nice wet kiss on my hand as well... Anyways, all these worries are now at ease as I grew more comfortable with the kids and settled into their world (that, and I'm now packing hand sanitizer).

One of the jobs I've taken up here is to be the group photographer, which is awesome because I get to capture everything that's going on! And boy do the kids love it! They will do anything for a photograph. Above is a picture of one of our favorite students sweeping away, hoping that it grabs my attention (he obviously knew how to play his cards).

Everyday, since then, 99% of what the students say goes something like this
"Uncle, one photo.
Please, uncle, one photo.
One photo, Uncle, one photo.
Please.. pleeease.."

Then I eventually cave in and take their photograph, and the kids come running toward me to see their photo on the digital screen... Above, you see the kids screaming and jumping for a prime spot as they know Aish is about to capture a photo. I thought I might secretly take out my camera to capture this, but the kids are sly and knew almost right away as you can see them running toward me.


One of the few pieces of equipment we let the kids play with are the tripods and they LOVE playing with these things. Considering the tripod is relatively complex (c'mon, admit it!), these kids figured it out in record time assuming they have had limited exposure to what this strange device actually does. Here again, the camera comes out, and all the kids run to pose.

Once I realized the power I had with my camera, I used it to my advantage. Instead of the screaming mass of kids that normally greeted the camera, I got them to all line up neatly single file before I agreed to take a photo. If the act of getting a bunch of primary school kids to line up single file isn't proof enough of the awesomeness of this power, perhaps the fact that I gave all my instructions in English is (remember, the kids only know Kannada, their native language). Isn't that amazing?

So in the first week, we introduced mobile phone games to the kids. Here two of my favorite students showing off after they've completed the tangram game. Some of these kids have been exposed to cell phones because of the February field study, others have access to phones at home, but many of the kids have never had a chance to use a mobile phone in their life! However, most students learned really quickly, a nod to either their intelligence or good design.

Throughout our trials there was a strong sense of cooperation among the students. Here, one students (quite a trouble maker too) works with another student cooperatively to solve the tangram game.

During downtime, the students sit outside and busily working on their homework on the ground. Of course, they can make some time for a quick snapshot :)

Anyways, the team is having a GREAT time out here. We have plenty to say, so you'll be hearing from us again real soon!


added June 14, 5:15pm -- I totally forgot. The title of this blog entry comes from their fondness of this typical american greeting. They love it so much that they will say it, even if they already know your name.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marvin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Satyajit Swain said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Jane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.