Monday, June 18, 2007

Snakes!

Apologies for the delay in posting a blog entry. I have been preoccupied during the last three weeks, mostly with getting local logistics up to the point where we can finally work on research with some semblance of productivity and safety precautions.

The most important point about doing fieldwork in a developing country is safety - from both natural and human elements. I thought this is a good time to mention this since one of my team members saw a snake right outside our farmhouse a while ago. I'll be discussing possible safety measures with the landowner, e.g. sulfur.

Given the amount of electronic equipment that we need for our work, the locals have also adviced that the farmhouse be covered on a 24/7 basis by a security guard. Call me a security freak, but that's an instinct acquired from my days in the military.

I'll post my backlog of updates soon.

No comments: